Saturday, October 18, 2008

The MacCottle's and The MacGreen's

That's right. We have adopted the names MacCottle and MacGreen while we are here in Scotland. After our long tour of the Highlands and Loch Ness we went to have dinner at Royal MacGregor on the Royal Mile. I decided I had to try Haggis, a traditional Scottish dish, which is made of the sheeps 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs.), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours. This does not sound appetizing. Since I only wanted to try it, I ordered the appetizer version of it which was actually rolled up and dipped in a batter and deep fried. I was pleasantly surprised. The flavor was actually really good but had a gummy texture to it. Mike MacGreen sampled it and said it was not bad but the MacCottles were not interested at all. I had eated it and realized that I had not taken a photo of it. Well, these two girls that were sitting next us had ordered it as a main dish and they were happy to let me photograph it. It was served with mashed potatoes on top of the haggis and mashed sweet potatoes on top of the mashed potatoes.

No comments: