Friday, May 4, 2012

Pinewood Derby

On Feb 4th, the Cub Scouts from Pack 1592 participated in the annual Pinewood Derby.  Here's a photo of Nate's entry.

Nate picked the design.  I had to make a few modifications as the first try caused me to break the front axle area.  I did all the rough cutting, but had Nate do the sanding and painting.  

We wanted Nate to do as much of the derby car as possible.  Clearly the painting was all his design.  I added in the weights to get it close to the limit.  We added Graphite to the axles so the wheels wouldn't get caught with friction.  Had to glue in the nails so they wouldn't get loose.

Nate and Jimmy watching the races.

Here are Nate's final race results.  Out of 87 cars, Nate finished  in 4th place.  Far better than I ever expected.  I was just hoping he'd win a race, when in fact he won most of his races.  He was consistently one of the fastest cars.  It was exciting for the parents, perhaps more so than for the boys who were ready to go home after the first hour.  Nate and Ethan made it to the finals, Ethan finished third.  Can't wait to do it again next year.

No comments: